Presented to the DCC AGM on 8th October 2019
Dennistoun Community Council is here to understand, coordinate and express our community’s views. Dennistoun and Haghill is a positive, inclusive neighbourhood and 16 Community Councillors in the area strive to play their part.
Over the course of 2018/19, since the last AGM on 09 October 2018, Dennistoun Community Council has undertaken the following actions:
- Elected 16 Community Councillors.
- Administered 3 sub-committees.
- Represented our community at the Dennistoun Area Partnership.
- Communicated on a weekly basis with 1265 Twitter followers and 1307 Facebook followers.
- Welcomed approximately 450 local residents to our monthly Community Council meetings.
- Held 9 Community Council meetings.
- Hosted 3 action planning meetings.
- Hosted 1 Special Public Meeting to save our leisure facilities with 200+ residents.
- Secured planning permission for five community noticeboards in Dennistoun and Haghill.
- Hosted guest speakers at DCC meetings including Glasgow Eco Trust.
- Secured educational resources from the Scottish Community Development Centre to run workshop to support Community Council vision/action plan.
- Submitted consultation response to Proposed Restricted Roads (20mph limit) Scotland bill.
- Celebrated Glasgow’s community councils at Lord Provost civic reception in September 2019.
In 2018/2019, on behalf of Dennistoun Community Council, Chairperson Lauren Bennie has:
- Met with Refuweegee to discuss pathway to becoming Associate Member of DCC and to inform DCC how best to create a welcome pack for transient community in Dennistoun & Haghill.
- Participated in Local Democracy Matters workshop in Glasgow to share best practice.
- Drafted case study about Dennistoun Community Council activities for Scottish Community Development Centre’s report.
- Attended consultation workshop to contribute to Scottish Government’s Local Governance Review.
- Spoke at launch of Strengthening Scotland’s Community Council report on panel at national conference in Edinburgh in April 2019.
- Spoke at Glasgow City Council’s Community Council Development Session in June 2019 and facilitated four workshops on what power, legitimacy, support and diversity looks like for Glasgow’s community councils.
- Chaired Glasgow City Council’s Community Council Development Session on 21 September 2019 and delivered session on how to power up and secure skills needed to carry out the role of Community Councillor.
This report can be downloaded as a PDF here.
To get DCC updates delivered to your inbox, enter your email address into the box in the menu section of this site and click Subscribe Now! (To the left of the screen in desktop view, or via the menu button at the top of the screen in mobile view). Easy to unsubscribe from at any time.