The Friends Of Glasgow Necropolis have announced their guided walking tour dates for July to December 2012.
The informal and informative tours of the Glasgow Necropolis will be undertaken, weather permitting, as per the following dates:
- Sunday 8th July @ 2.00pm
- Saturday 11th August @ 2.00pm
- Sunday 26th August @ 5.00pm
- Saturday 20th October @ 2.00pm
- Sunday 25th November @ 12 noon
- Saturday 8th December @ 1.00pm
In conjunction with the Merchant City Festival, tours on the following dates will also be available:
- Thursday 26th July @ 6.00pm
- Friday 27th July @ 2.00pm
- Saturday 28th July @ 12.00 noon
As part of Doors Open Days, tours will take place on the following days:
- Saturday 15th September @ 12.00 noon, 1.00pm, 2.00pm & 5.00pm*
- Sunday 16th September @ 12.00 noon & 2.00pm
(*joint tour with Roger Guthrie of the Alexander Thomson Society and Ruth Johnston of the Friends of Glasgow Necropolis, followed by a soup and sandwich buffet (additional fee applicable), at the Cathedral House Hotel.)
The tours of the 37 acre cemetery are full of wonderful architecture, sculpture and fascinating stories relating to the 50,000 people remembered there. As a charity, donations received from the tours are used for restoration work.
Prior booking is essential, with FoGN members having priority on bookings. All other places will be allocated on a first come basis and the meeting point will be provided with every confirmed booking.
Given the popularity of the tours they are expected to be fully subscribed so, to avoid disappointment, you are advised to book early by sending an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org. More info here.